Wednesday, June 14, 2006
My Happy Thought
Do you remember in the movie Hook how they told Robin Williams/Peter Pan that the trick to flying was to think of just one really, really happy thought? Do you remember what his ended up being? It was the birth of his first child.

That's mine too.

I can vividly remember the moment Emma was born - that half-second of terror when she comes out all purple and not breathing, worried that she was stillborn, and then her first breath and first cry when your heart just leaps out of your chest with love and you know that you will never, ever be able to get it back in again.

But the part that is just my absolute best moment was a minute or two after she was born, when the NICU nurses had taken her over to the special table for premature babies to make sure everything was okay with her since she was six weeks early. She was screaming her tiny lungs out at that point. But as soon as the nurses moved out of the way I was there and just started talking to her, telling her how much I loved her and that her daddy was there and that it would be okay. And as soon as I started talking she stopped crying and looked right at me and calmed down! She recognized her daddy's voice! It was probably the first thing she really heard after being born. She probably remembered all the times I would read Winnie-the-Pooh to her while she was still in her mommy's tummy (complete with pictures!).

I will never, ever forget that moment, how happy it made me to know that she recognized me right from the very first.

So yeah, that's my happy thought. :)



Edit: I just wanted to add an update that when we went to get our little happy thought up from her nap we discovered that she had taken her diaper off and had smeared poop all over her crib, her sheets and the wall! How's that for a happy thought? :D

Labels: ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 12:11 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


At 6/14/2006 02:47:00 PM, Blogger gerbmom

Nice....
a truly beautiful post. Thanks for sharing a part of your heart....
Emma is indeed a blessed child!

 

At 6/14/2006 06:44:00 PM, Blogger gerbmom

a budding artist? :D

 

At 6/15/2006 07:48:00 PM, Blogger Erin Marshalek

I remember the time leading up to Emma's birth...even being able to visit a day or two before she was born. I was so happy for you and Julie when I heard she was healthy and got to see those first beautiful pictures.

She has wonderful parents.