Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Roots
I was reflecting recently on my evangelical roots, on the tradition in which I was raised and realized that I have many things that I've received from it that I'm thankful for. Top among these are a passion for truth, and a desire to truly understand the Scriptures. However, I was also struck by the great irony in this, because it was exactly these same things, a passion for truth and for the Bible, that have ultimately led me to identify less and less with my evangelical roots. Evangelicalism led me to the Bible and the Bible led me away from Evangelicalism. Evangelicalism led me to pursue truth, and the pursuit of it led me away from Evangelicalism.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that evangelical belief is entirely untrue or unbiblical; I've just come to a place where I can't see it as the whole truth. It's part of the picture, but it's not the whole picture. And sadly evangelicals seem to often be unaware how their own theological assumptions can sometimes cloud and distort their reading of certain Biblical passages that don't fit with those assumptions. Again, not that they get it all wrong, not at all. There just seems to be some glaring blind spots.

Anyhow, I just thought it was ironic...
Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels:

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 7:44 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: