Tuesday, October 17, 2006
I fought the law, and... won!
Speed Limit Sign PictureI had to go to court this morning because I had pled "Not Guilty" to a speeding ticket. The cop said I was going 40 mph in a 20 mph zone, but there was not a speed limit sign marking this on the section of road that he said I was speeding on. (The last sign I had passed was 40 mph, and the 20 mph zone didn't actually start until after the portion of road where he said I had been speeding.)

I guess I could have just paid the $75 fine and saved myself the hassle of having to show up to court three times (first to change my court date to avoid a conflict with our trip to Texas, then to an appearance where the police officer didn't show up and the State Prosecutor asked for a continuance till this week). But I was worried about the points on my driving record, and it just kind of bugged me, since I actually was obeying the posted limits, so I decided to contest it. Besides that, I was also a little curious to see what would happen if I actually tried to fight it. I was interested in having a new experience. I figured that the worst that could happen was that I'd lose and have to pay the fine anyway.

But I didn't lose. I won. I came prepared with a copy of the Illinois trafffic laws and an aerial map of the area in question and, after some arguing with the Prosecutor, eventually convinced the judge that I was in the right. (He seemed surprised that I had actually done the research and asked me if I had a background in law.) Anyhow, it was an exhilarating feeling to stand up against The Man and actually win! I know that my situation wasn't exactly a major injustice, but it still felt good to stand on principle and have it actually work out.

Labels:

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 9:53 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


At 10/18/2006 06:23:00 AM, Blogger dan

Power to the people! :) Way to go, Mike. Congrats.
Dan h.

 

At 10/18/2006 04:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow dude... that was a close call...

 

At 10/19/2006 09:38:00 AM, Blogger Lydia

Very cool.

 

At 10/19/2006 11:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Good job on fighting it! Remember when I got my first ticket for speeding 89mph on the 131 in Cadillac? Thankfully my driving has approved since then!