Sunday, July 29, 2007
Spoilers Straight from Rowling Herself
This isn't my full review of "Deathly Hallows" but I was watching a Dateline NBC interview with JK Rowling and she filled in some details that were missing from the epilogue of Book 7. If you haven't finished the book yet this is fair warning and you'll probably want to skip the rest of this post.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

One of my complaints about the end of Book 7 was that the 19-years-later epilogue didn't give us enough details about what all the main characters were up to. We found out that Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione all had lots of kids, but we never learned what they grew up to become in the wizarding world. In this interview Rowling fills in those missing details:

Harry & Ron become top-rate aurors and reform the entire department. Rowling says that by the time of the epilogue, Harry will have likely become the head of the Auror department.

Hermione is working in the Office of Magical Law Enforcement. Sort of fits considering how often she was getting after Ron and Harry for breaking the rules.

And I was correct in my guess that Victoire, Teddy Lupin's girlfriend, is Bill & Fleur's daughter.

I just don't understand why Rowling didn't put these details in the book itself.

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 9:50 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


At 7/30/2007 09:56:00 AM, Blogger gerbmom

Me either, especially since she "knows". The show was interesting and I'm glad you watched and posted cuz now I don't have to try to remember it all and tell you!

 

At 7/31/2007 08:24:00 AM, Blogger PrincessMax

I like it that she leaves room for the imagination. If kids see themselves in Ron, Harry, Hermione, Draco, Neville, etc., they're free to imagine the future the want for themselves for their character.

My main objection is that she perpetuates the societal myth that happily ever after involves marrying your high school sweetheart, settling down and having lots of kids. Just as I applaud her for introducing the possibility that newspapers can print misinformation as a formative concept to children, I wish that she would have introduced alternative lifestyles (staying single, discovering that teenage love is not always forever love, traveling the world) as an option for heroes in the epilogue.

 

At 7/31/2007 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Mike Clawson

Interesting perspective Rebecca - I hadn't quite thought about it that way before (though it makes sense that you would be more sensitive to such matters). I think you're right.

Though she doesn't exactly say that Neville got married. As far as we've seen in the books, none of the Hogwarts professors have been married, so that might be an indication that Neville is still single as well.

But you're right that she could have done more. I think she just did too much to set up Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny (though not as much as I would have liked with that pair) that she couldn't very well have them not end up together in the epilogue. That would have taken too much explanation for an ending chapter that was basically just supposed to be about the warm fuzzies. :)