Tuesday, January 01, 2008
New Year, New Adventures
Happy 2008! This year is going to end up being another major one for us. There are so many big changes on the horizon for us that I don't even know where to begin. However, I thought that I ought to mention them here so that my readers can all be up-to-date on what's going on in our lives. Here goes:

1. We're having a baby! Julie is expecting baby #2 in early July. So far the baby is healthy, though unfortunately Julie is not. Like last time with Emma, Julie has been hit with severe "morning" sickness (actually "all-day, everyday" sickness). She hasn't been able to eat much and stays on the couch pretty much 24/7. We're really hoping and praying that this doesn't lead to the same kind of complications we had last time with the pre-term labor, the three months of mandatory bed-rest, and the 6-weeks premature birth.

2. We're moving! For a number of reasons our church has decided that we are better suited to be a house church community. This is the right direction for our church but sadly it means that it will no longer be financially sustainable for Julie and I to continue on as the paid pastors of the church. Again, for a number of reasons we've decided that the time has come for us to move on and away from the Yorkville area. We will stay here until the new baby comes and then plan to move to Austin, Texas to be closer to Julie's family (her parents, aunt, and brother & sister-in-law all live there). We are nervous, a little sad and a little excited too about the move. With the little one on the way it will be nice to have family nearby, and we've always wanted to live in a progressive, eclectic college town like Austin.

3. I will be going back to school for my PhD! So far I've applied to Baylor University, the University of Texas, and Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. My intent is to study Religion & contemporary Church History with the long range goal of teaching on the college or seminary level. We'll see where I get into, but I hope to start classes next fall.

It's scary to contemplate all these changes coming up, but life is nothing if not exciting. It's time for a new chapter in our lives. We will miss Via Christus and all of our friends up here in the Chicago area (I've lived around here for over 11 years now), but fortunately we have several months to make the transition, prepare new leadership for the church, and say our goodbyes. Please keep us in your thoughts or prayers over the upcoming months.

Labels:

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 12:32 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


At 1/01/2008 02:03:00 PM, Blogger Helen

Thanks for sharing all this news. Mike.

I'm sorry to hear that you and Julie will be leaving the Chicago area later this year but happy for you that this sounds like a good move in a number of ways.

 

At 1/01/2008 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Mike Croghan

May God bless you guys in all of these changes! Peace and hope and joy in the new year.

 

At 1/01/2008 03:21:00 PM, Blogger Clairey

Congratulations on your good news. I wanted to tell you about a website thay gives lots of info about morning sickness - you might find it useful - http://www.survivemorningsickness.com

Best Wishes
Claire

 

At 1/01/2008 03:27:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

Congrats. Sounds like you'll have a busy 2008! :)

 

At 1/01/2008 03:42:00 PM, Blogger Mike Stavlund

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations, and happy new year!

 

At 1/01/2008 04:01:00 PM, Blogger Erin Marshalek

I can definitely see you doing well teaching higher education; it sounds like a really good fit! I'll continue to hold you and your family in my prayers in this year of change and transition.

 

At 1/01/2008 04:49:00 PM, Blogger Mpromptu

Congrats to you and Julie on the wonderful baby news!

It'll be sad to see you leaving IL, but Austin will be a nice change of pace :)

Keep us updated on your applications!

 

At 1/03/2008 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Odgie

Best wishes on your PhD program and the move. However, I know that you will enjoy Austin. One of my best friends from college and one of my brothers in law live there, and we try to visit whenever we can. It's a great town.

 

At 1/04/2008 06:24:00 PM, Blogger kent

Congratulations on the new baby. Also I am sorry to hear that you are leaving your church. I have followed casually and from a little distance what has been going on with interestthe good things you have been doing in Yorkville. The western suburbs will be poorer for your absence. I look forward hearing more form and about you! Blessing

 

At 1/30/2008 05:49:00 PM, Blogger Andy Culbertson

I'm catching up on my blog reading and this is about a month late, but congratulations on the baby!