Tuesday, March 09, 2010
Citations
Maybe it's because I'm in grad school, but it feels wrong to write a review of McLaren's book without citing all the other reviews I read in preparation for my own. I linked to a few in my post, but didn't even come close to scratching the surface of the ones out there that I looked at (which themselves were only a tiny fraction of all the ones out there now.) I've also included a few more decent reviews that have come out since I wrote my own. I certainly don't agree with all of these, and some even make me angry, but it is important to listen to people who think differently than yourself, and get multiple perspectives on any issue, so if you're interested in reading the good, the bad, and even the ugly, here you go:


Mostly Positive

Joe Bumbulis - A New Kind of Christianity: Too far, not far enough...or is that even the point? a book review

Ron Cole - An ancient recipe, with a new label...A New Kind of Christianity, Part 2


Nathan Gilmour - A New Kind of Christianity: A Review for The Ooze Viral Blogs

Chad Holtz - A New Kind of Christianity (Part I): De-Jewing Jesus, Part II - The Bible, Part III - Is God Violent?, Part IV - Who is Jesus?, Part IV (2) - Who is Jesus?

Helen Mildenhall - Review: A New Kind of Christianity by Brian McLaren

Mike Morrell - Brian & Spencer’s Excellent Adventure, On the McLaren Nay-sayers, The Excellency of Christ in ‘A New Kind of Christianity’, Brian McLaren: ‘I enthusiastically affirm the Apostles and Nicene Creeds. I’m a wholehearted Trinitarian.’

Matt Ritchie - A New Kind of Christianity (multiple posts)


Mostly Negative

Darryl Dash - Ending the Discussion Before It Starts, Review: A New Kind of Christianity

Kevin DeYoung - Christianity & McLarenism: Ten Questions and Ten Problems

Dave Fitch - McLaren’s New Kind of Christianity – There’s a parting of the ways here – and that’s alright – Towards a New Missional Nicaea (Someday)

Bill Kinnon - Brian Wants to Frame the Reviews: 'If you disagree with me, you are probably a Fundie!', Reviewers Reviewing McLaren's A New Kind of Christianity, A Question or Two About Brian McLaren's A New Kind of Christianity, Brian McLaren is Not a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, Responding to Brian McLaren's Response to Me

Scot McKnight - CT Review: Brian McLaren's New Kind of Christianity (and conversation about it)

Trevin Wax - Why Brian McLaren's New Book is Good for the Emerging Church

Mike Wittmer - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11


Downright Nasty

Tim Challies - A New Kind of Christianity

Mr. Pye - Brian McLaren is a Fucking Idiot


A Few People Who Wanted to Weigh-In Without Actually Reading the Book

Brother Maynard - A New Kind of Conversation: Why I Might be Neo-Emergent

Jamie Arpin-Ricci - A New Kind of Christianity


Some of Brian's Responses

A New Kind of Christianity: response to Morrell and McKnight

A New Kind of Christianity: cont'd

A New Kind of Christianity: cont'd 2

Reviews: A New Kind of Christianity ... Christianity Today, Part 1

Reviews: A New Kind of Christianity... Christianity Today, Part 2

Labels: ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 3:20 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


At 3/09/2010 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Josh M.

I think you should link to Jonathan Brink's reviews as well (even though they are still in progress).

 

At 3/09/2010 08:10:00 PM, Blogger Mike Clawson

I haven't seen them Josh. Do you have a link?

 

At 3/09/2010 08:36:00 PM, Blogger Josh M.

http://jonathanbrink.com/2010/02/25/a-new-kind-of-christianity-initial-thoughts/

http://jonathanbrink.com/2010/02/26/a-new-kind-of-christianity-book-review-question-1/

http://jonathanbrink.com/2010/03/02/a-new-kind-of-christianity-%e2%80%93-book-review-question-2-3/

http://jonathanbrink.com/2010/03/09/a-new-kind-of-christianity-%e2%80%93-book-review-question-4-5/

 

At 3/13/2010 11:21:00 PM, Anonymous Jamie Arpin-Ricci

I sure wish I could be on the list of those who have read the book. It has been twice promised to me for review (and thus canceling order from Amazon), but it never arrived. Anyway, hope mine wasn't one that made you angry!

Peace,
Jamie

 

At 3/14/2010 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Mike Clawson

No Jamie, your post didn't anger me at all. I think I just found it slightly amusing, and somewhat disheartening, that there were actually several people who decided to speak out on the book (or the controversy surrounding it) without any actual first-hand knowledge of it. I'm used to those opposed to the emerging church merely reading what the critics say rather than the primary sources, and basing their opposition solely on that (the senior pastor of the church I got kicked out of, for instance, who would only read DA Carson's book, but not McLaren himself before forming his opinion), but I guess it just surprised me when a couple of folks friendly to the conversation (you and Bro. Maynard) basically adopted the same approach.

Anyhow, I hope you manage to get your hands on a copy soon so you can see what you're missing out on!

Peace,
-Mike