Wednesday, June 28, 2006
My first big TV News interview
I just got to do a TV interview today for CBS 2 in Chicago. They're doing a piece on the Emerging Church and contacted me about doing an interview since I'm one of the coordinators for up/rooted, the local Emergent Cohort here in Chicago, and since I'm currently the pastor of a new emerging church in Yorkville. They also interviewed Julie as well as Geoff Holsclaw and Dave Fitch from Life on the Vine Church up in Long Grove. Geoff and Dave were some of the founding members of the original up/rooted group that met up in the north suburbs (our current group meets out in the west suburbs). Originally they were going to come out and film one of our Via Christus church gatherings, but they couldn't get a film crew available for this Saturday night, so they decided to have the four of us gather at a park in Wheaton instead.

It was a fun experience. Of course, I feel like I repeated myself way too much and after my interview was done I thought of a dozen more things I should have said, but given that they'll probably edit all of my comments to a 5-second sound bite anyway, I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. (Don't worry Steve, I didn't say "Satan" so hopefully they won't be able to edit me to say "I...love...Satan." ;)

I'm really very grateful that they'll be focusing this attention on the emerging church movement. My hope is that it will let more people know that we're out there. There are all kinds of people out there who are on the verge of giving up their faith because they think there is only one way of being a Christian and they don't want to be that anymore. If they see this news cast and then discover that there are new kinds of Christians out there, and it gives them hope to not give up on their faith just yet... well, that would be fantastic. That's a big reason I keep doing this - keep running up/rooted, keep on with this church planting thing. I want to reach people like that and give them a reason not to give up on the way of Christ just yet.

The segment will be airing on July 10th at 10pm on Channel 2 here in Chicago. If you don't live in Chicagoland you should be able to download the piece at the CBS 2 Chicago website.

Labels:

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 7:05 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


At 6/29/2006 09:46:00 AM, Blogger Amy

Congrats, Mike, for getting on the news! I've enjoyed reading more about the Emergent Church the last month or so from you and Julie's blogs and other sites. Blessings on your work in Yorkville. Hope we can visit you guys sometime before we move.

 

At 6/29/2006 02:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hey!

I was interviewed today by the same folks. Good stuff, I think. I will pray that you and Geoff are on the screen longer than I. My mug is not so purdy.

-Reconciler

 

At 7/01/2006 07:35:00 PM, Blogger tonymyles

Congrats! What a cool opportunity!