Thursday, March 08, 2007
Blog Against Sexism
Today is International Women's Day, and this site is encouraging others to make it an official Blog Against Sexism Day. Honestly, as a man it can sometimes be easy to overlook sexism against women, or to imagine that it's not really a big deal. But that, I think, is only because we don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end of it. (We often see the same problem among whites who don't think that racism is still a problem, because they've never had to actually experience it first hand.) That's why I think it is so important that we listen to the stories of real women. Hear from them what it is like to be devalued for your gender, to be excluded and restricted, to have your self-identity limited and defined for you by others. Hear their struggle, their anger, their dreams - and not diminish their experience by trying to tell them that their feelings aren't valid. Just listen, don't debate. Just value the story and value the person behind it - not just as a woman, but as a fellow human being sharing her pain.

That, I think, is what this Blog Day is all about.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 10:55 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


At 3/09/2007 07:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Mike,

I appreciate your social awareness. Honestly. I'm growing to like and respect you - a lot. I wonder as I read the banter about sexism: was there a similar call from the EV blogosphere to blog against racism during black history month?

The urban emergent has arrived.

www.christopherbennett.blogspot.com

 

At 3/09/2007 09:25:00 AM, Blogger Mike Clawson

Honestly I don't know. I don't keep up on the blogosphere as well as I should. I'm sure you could hunt around and see whether you find anything. Let me know if you do.

-Mike

 

At 3/09/2007 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Julie

Hey Chris -
that's a good question and I don't know. The blog against sexism thing wasn't an EV thing or even a religious thing. I connected to it through secular sites I visit and have found actually very few Christian participants. Ending sexism or racism isn't always a priority to believers.