Thursday, June 07, 2007
Steps to Conservation
While I talk a lot about being environmentally conscious and about sustainable living, I have to confess that I'm just at the beginning stages myself in learning how to actually put these ideals into practice. That's why I was really glad to stumble across this article from a past issue of Sojourners giving some practical advice about how to conserve energy around the home. Here's some of the things they list:

1. Turn off lights.
2. Replace incandescent bulbs with compact florescents.
3. Replace old refrigerators with newer energy efficient models (and donate the old one to a charity or family in need).
4. Insulate your attic.
5. Replace single-pane windows with double pane.
6. Turn down your hot water heater thermostat.
7. Keep your computer another year or two.
8. Switch to rechargeable batteries.
9. Unplug your TV when not in use.
10. Don't wash your clothes in hot water.
11. Use window-quilts to prevent heat-loss at night.
12. Only use AC when necessary.
13. Avoid buying unnecessary electric gadgets.
14. Use your car less.

The article itself expands on each of these. As I look over this list I'm glad to see that there are several we already practice, and several more that seem very easy and doable. (Of course there are a few, like #5, that we can't really afford right now...) Anyhow, I'm all about easy, practical ways to make a difference. Hope this list is useful to some of you as well.


Labels:

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 9:11 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


At 6/11/2007 12:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

good ideas.

I found out about a month ago that the compact florescents have mercury in them. Therefore we need to dispose of them in a very specific way. If the general public is not properly informed we are going to have landfills, water tables, and our air contaminated. I'm not sure what the effects of mercury is on our environment but I think it's not good.
Hopefully the energy saved nullified because of the mercury.

I love your blog esp. the Sept. 25th post, What is the emerging church!

Thanks!!!