Wednesday, July 04, 2007
8 Random Things Meme
I really hate memes, but I feel guilty for not participating, especially if someone was interested enough in my response to tag me, so I guess I'll have to reply to this one (thanks Kullervo). ;)

The rules of getting tagged are simple. If you get tagged…

  • Post eight random facts about yourself.
  • Tag eight other bloggers (hopefully those who haven’t been tagged before).
  • Post these rules.
Here are my eight things:

1. I used to be a cowboy. Seriously, I was a horse wrangler at the camp where we lived every summer for most of junior high and high school. I was even a certified horsemanship instructor. One of my senior pictures from high school was taken in full western garb (hat, boots, western shirt) alongside my best friend's horse (I couldn't afford a horse of my own).

2. I'm a huge fantasy/sci-fi geek, but I actually read very little fantasy/sci-fi these days. I just don't find the time for fiction anymore.

3. I also really like post-apocalyptic/end of the world fiction. It may seem a little weird or morbid, but for some reason after 9/11 I went on a big apocalyptic fiction binge and read nearly everything at our local library. I guess it was my way of coping with catastrophe.

4. I hate sports. Most forms of organized competition bore the hell out of me. It's hard to think of a more mind-numbingly awful way to spend three hours than watching a baseball, basketball or football game - especially on TV.

5. #4 notwithstanding, I was actually captain of the soccer team and the wrestling team in high school. I find I don't mind playing sports as much as watching them, and I liked soccer and wrestling because they weren't "mainstream" (or at least soccer wasn't mainstream yet in northern Michigan 12 years ago).

6. When I was a kid I wanted to be President of the United States when I grew up. This ambition lasted through most of high school.

7. I wanted to be a conservative Republican President back then. I was a huge fan of Rush Limbaugh back in the mid-nineties.

8. I have a Masters degree in Intercultural Studies and Teaching English as a Second Language that I've never done anything with. By the time I finished the program I realized that I didn't really like teaching ESL - and we never got around to moving to Europe like we had originally planned anyway.

Okay, 8 other bloggers (if you don't like memes either, I apologize and don't feel obliged to play):

Drew

Rebecca (aka Princess Max)

Dan Horwedel

Jen Pare

Julie Clawson

Karen Gerber

Kent Anderson

Dan Harlow

Labels: ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 12:24 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


At 7/05/2007 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I also was a heartless conservative in the mid-nineties!

Learning to think for myself has been a lifelong process, and has often invoved some perilous pendulum swings back and forth along the American political spectrum.

 

At 7/05/2007 04:35:00 PM, Blogger Julie

so I played - my own version that is...