Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Cyclops?
I know I should just be ignoring these guys, but sometimes they're good for a laugh. Slice of Laodicea, one of those extreme fundamentalist "watchdog" sites, recently posted a warning about the "emergent takeover" of Cedarville University. The only reason I'm pointing it out is because it contains probably the funniest insult I've ever heard leveled at someone in the emerging church. Regarding a book endorsement by Brian McLaren, Slice had this to say:
Cedarville’s chapel speaker, Brad Kallenberg, is called “…this important theologian of the emerging church,” by the First Grand Cyclops of the emerging church.

Did they just call Brian McLaren "the First Grand Cyclops of the emerging church"? What the...?

Seriously, how do they come up with this stuff? I think that's the funniest thing I've read all week!

(Full disclosure: I actually ran for the post of "First Grand Cyclops" but after a scandal involving me, Tony Jones, a Volvo and a plunger back at the Glorieta Gathering, I was forced to withdraw my name from consideration. I'm still bitter.)

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 10:25 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


At 3/20/2008 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Erik S.

Apprently the "Grand Cyclops" is actually a position in the KKK. So now they're saying Brian McLaren = KKK?

How Christian of them...

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:KjDswDlHJLcJ:www.albany.edu/history/history316/kkk.html+%22Grand+Cyclops%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

 

At 3/20/2008 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

You must be seriously ironically challenged. They're saying he's the Big Cheese of the emerging church. Did you get that? Here's some help. "The Big Cheese" means that you're the best known leader of a given movement. Sheesh. Public school graduate, perhaps?

 

At 3/20/2008 04:06:00 PM, Blogger Mike Clawson

Yes Simp, I understood what they meant. But it's still funny.

 

At 3/22/2008 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Steve K.

Wow ... Who uses KKK lingo to slam someone they disagree with theologically?! I mean, that's worse than Geraldine Ferraro saying Obama is only leading in the presidential race because he's a black man.

These Slice people are laying down some scary sh!t, Mike. I, for one, am not laughing. If I believed in litigation, I'd say Brian should get a lawyer and sue the slanderous pants off these Slice fools. (sigh)

I guess I need to go practice some contemplative prayer to calm myself down ... ;-)

 

At 3/23/2008 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Mike Clawson

Yes Steve, I didn't realize that this was a KKK title until Erik mentioned it. I agree that this makes it rather more offensive and less amusing now.