Monday, May 12, 2008
Brian McLaren in the Washington Post
The Washington Post just had an interview with Brian McLaren. He had a number of good responses, and despite the fact that once again the media tried to define the emerging church primarily in terms of "worship styles" Brian mostly managed to keep the discussion on more substantive issues. I especially liked his response to the question of whether he is a "liberal":
What do you mean by the term? If liberal means you believe ... you should help the poor, and your bias should be toward peacemaking rather than war-making, then I'm a liberal. But if liberal means that government can solve all of our problems and that secularism is better than faith, and that it doesn't matter what you do in your personal life and that morality is up for grabs, then I'm not a liberal. And I could say the same thing about conservative.

Yep, me too.

I also liked this response:
Q: Are you trying to create heaven on earth?

A: As a Christian, I'm just trying to be faithful. I'm trying to live out what I pray when I pray the Lord's prayer, 'May your kingdom come. May your will be done on earth.' ... I'm not a utopian in any way.

Brian nailed it. Regardless of whether we can actually bring about heaven or the kingdom on earth, we are still called to live as if we will. It's not about creating utopia through our own efforts. It's simply about doing what Jesus told us to do.

Labels:

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 11:34 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: