Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Julie's Rants
Julie's been posting a lot lately at her blog. There are lot of good entries you should read.

First she raises the alarm about the latest instance of institutional sexism among the Southern Baptists. Apparently women are no longer even allowed to teach ancient languages to men in seminary.

Then she reviews the new Alfie Kohn book she's reading called The Homework Myth. It's about why most homework, especially when piled on at the elementary level, is pointless and detrimental to family life, socioeconomic equality, and true learning. Personally I've always thought that busy-work homework was pointless, but I wasn't sure if it was just me (since I've always been a quick learner). As it turns out (according to Kohn), that kind of homework isn't really any good for any student.

Finally, she calls our attention to Wal-Mart's latest shady, underhandedly evil practice. Apparently a lot of Wal-Marts have been mislabeling food as organic when it really isn't. Why does that not surprise me?

Anyhow, don't take my word for it. Head on over to her site and give it a read.
 
posted by Mike Clawson at 6:02 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: