Thursday, July 05, 2007
More on the 4th
I just came across the lyrics to Derek Webb's song "King & a Kingdom" and they seemed relevant to my feelings about the 4th of July and American patriotism in general. He sings:

(vs. 1)
who's your brother, who's your sister
you just walked passed him
i think you missed her
as we're all migrating to the place where our father lives
'cause we married in to a family of immigrants
(chorus)
my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a king & a kingdom

(vs. 2)
there are two great lies that i’ve heard:
“the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die”
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him

(chorus)

(bridge)
but nothing unifies like a common enemy
and we’ve got one, sure as hell
but he may be living in your house
he may be raising up your kids
he may be sleeping with your wife
oh no, he may not look like you think


Labels: ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 5:25 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


At 7/06/2007 03:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

yikes.

 

At 7/06/2007 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Mike Clawson

It has nothing to do with being a liberal or a democrat jazzy. It has to do with being a follower of Christ and a citizen of a different kingdom.

And it's not about "dislike", it's about maintaining a higher loyalty.

Oh, and if you think it's genetic, then you haven't met my parents. I guarantee that they are good middle-class conservative Republicans and raised me to be such as well.

 

At 7/06/2007 01:39:00 PM, Blogger gerbmom

LOL - I posted part of that on my blog when Mockingbird first came out......
I was thinking a lot about this while sitting at the fireworks the other night observing people...
and knowing what Sunday would be like at Faith.