Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Still Speechless...
I still have too many thoughts swirling in my head to write anything coherent about the election of Barack Obama. There are just so many things that I want to say about it. The first black president. The first multi-racial president. The first postmodern/post-Boomer generation president (can we finally get past the 60's?) The first president in my lifetime that I'm actually excited about. A president that can actually restore the respect that America once had among the world community. The message that someone with his face, his name, and his background communicates to the world about what America can be.

The election itself excites me too - the record turn-out, especially among younger voters. The shift of power/momentum to a younger, more diverse, and more progressive America. A new kind of campaigning that refused to stoop to mud-slinging, that maintained integrity and a steady hand, and that relied on the people for funding, rather than on big corporate lobbyists and other wealthy special interests groups. The landslide victory for Democrats, which I believe is necessary in order to start fixing so much of the damage caused by the Bush Administration over the past 8 years.

Anyhow, I'd love to talk more about all these aspects and more, but I just don't have the time and can't seem to pull my thoughts together coherently enough anyway.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Mike Clawson at 11:13 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: