Wednesday, December 21, 2005
The Real Meaning of Christmas
As a counterbalance to all the Christians out there who seem to be telling the world that the meaning of Christmas is trite phrases of greetings, consumer boycotts, and cultural dominance, I thought I'd post the lyrics to a few of my favorite Christmas Carols that I think capture the true meaning of Christmas. I've also highlighted a few of my favorite lines.

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

Just a note about this Carol: it was written during the American Civil War, another time, similar to our own, filled with hatred and violence. I love the note of hope it sounds in the face of such evil.

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”
 
posted by Mike Clawson at 3:54 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: